Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

As a Cameroonian living or studying in the Netherlands am I required to register with the Embassy?

Yes you are absolutely required to register at the Embassy and get a consular card. It is important to let your Embassy know you live in the Netherlands because the Embassy is here for you as well. It also helps a lot in case you need the services of the Embassy later. That way the Embassy doesn’t doubt your Nationality and your right to achieving desired services. This doesn’t give you automatic rights though for all services except when all required conditions for any specific service are fully met.

Does a Cameroonian citizen need a visa to enter the Netherlands?

Yes, a Cameroonian citizen needs a visa to enter the Netherlands. Contact the Netherlands Embassy in Cameroon or visit the website of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MINBUZA) or the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) for precise information on requirements.

How can I renew my passport? How long does it take?

Please see our online information under Consular Services regarding Passport Application and cost. Renewal of Cameroonian Passport is no longer possible. After expiration or lose any individual is required to apply for a brand new passport. If that doesn’t quite answer your question, please contact the Embassy by +31(0)703469715.

How do I obtain a Cameroonian passport for my baby who was born in the Netherlands?

Please see our online information regarding passport applications. Secondly, you must be a holder of a Cameroonian Passport as a parent. Or you must show enough legal proof that you hold or also hold a Cameroonian Nationality. Thirdly, you are required to provide your baby’s birth Certificate showing the place, country of birth and evidence that you are the rightful parent. Fourthly you are highly encouraged have been registered at the Embassy or have a Consular or Embassy card. If not, you are advised to download and complete the Embassy registration form online to apply for a consular or Embassy card.

Is it safe to travel to and stay in the Netherlands and some other countries in the region?

Generally travel to and staying in the Netherlands is considered relatively safe. But since there is no place without some amount of crime wave, and since crime is mostly committed by individuals, we advice any Cameroonian who travels to the Netherlands or anywhere else in the world to always remain cautious and follow safety procedures and regulations especially at a moment when terrorism hasn’t any boundaries.

With any trip you take, it is advisable to make sure your money is safely stored and your luggage well secured. In case of any serious crime committed against you, we advise you to contact the police immediately. The alarm number for the Netherlands is 112. You can also use 112 in most of the European Union countries.

I want to take my cat/dog (or other pet) to Cameroon. What are the requirements?

Cats or dogs need to have a passport (your veterinarian can assist in getting a pet passport) and valid rabies vaccination (administered more than one month but less than twelve months from the date of travel).

Please contact the Consular Section for specific requirements. Always contact the airline with which you will travel to inquire about their specific requirements for transportation of pets.

I need a document notarized. Do you have a Notary Public? What are your hours?

We do not have a Notary Public and do not provide notarial services.

As a citizen of the Netherlands or holder of a Dutch Passport do I need a visa to enter Cameroon?

If you are a citizen of the Netherlands, in most cases you will need a visa to enter the Republic of Cameroon. A visa allows you to enter Cameroon through any of the following ports of entry; airport, seaport, or land border crossing. It simply indicates that your application has been reviewed by a Cameroon consular officer at a Cameroon Consulate or Embassy and that the officer has determined that you are eligible to enter the country for a specific purpose.

What is the capital of Cameroon?

The capital of Cameroon is Yaoundé, inhabited by over 2,5 million people.

Can you get a visa from a virtual embassy?

No. The Cameroon Embassy, The Hague does not operate a virtual Embassy at this moment.

What do I need POWER OF ATTORNEY for?

Power of Attorney is a document issued to enable a Cameroonian citizen living in the Netherlands to appoint someone to carry out an administrative or judicial procedure on his/her behalf in Cameroon. In essence, a power of Attorney is a document or declaration that you make to give power or authority to someone to act on your behalf when you cannot be present to do it yourself. It cannot be used for marriage. The power of attorney is personal and the presence of the applicant at the Embassy is obligatory.

Applying in person

  • One (1) Application Form to be filled in and signed by the      applicant at the Embassy.
  • Proof of identity (Passport or National identity card).
  • Consular Card
  • All other documents are not considered valid (Contact Embassy for questions      about Cameroonians with foreign documents).
  • Visit consular Services online for fee.

What is the official Language of Cameroon?

Cameroon has two official languages: English and French. They originate from Cameroon’s colonial history. Cameroon was jointly colonised by England and France. Cameroon therefore inherited English from the British and French from France.

What is the population of Cameroon?

The 2014 population of Cameroon is estimated at 23,036,947 million. Go to About Cameroon online for more information.

What kind of Government rules Cameroon; Military or civilian?

Cameroon is ruled by a civilian Government and has never had a military Government. Cameroon is one of the most peaceful nations in Africa. Go to About Cameroon online for more information.

 What is the currency of Cameroon?

Cameroon uses the CFA franc together with five other regional countries. €1.00 is equal to about 655 CFA. Go to About Cameroon online for more information.


Translate »